In case any longtime Miami Heat (or Syracuse Orange) fans remember Rony Seikaly, and wonder what he’s doing for Fourth of July, wonder no longer — here’s your answer:
For those of you that don’t know Rony Seikaly here are some facts about Rony:
- He’s Greek.
- He played for Syracuse University, and is one of their best centers of all time. When he graduated Syracuse he was the all-time leader in rebounds, second in blocked shots, and fourth in points. His jersey (#4) has been retired.
- He was taken 9th in the 1988 NBA Draft, the Heat’s first-ever draft pick.
- He averaged 16 points, 10 rebounds, and 1.7 blocks per game as a Heat player.
- His nickname was “The Spin Doctor” for his trademark low-post spin move.
- He owns a multi-million dollar real estate company.
- He’s a DJ.
- Apparently, when Magic Johnson returned to the NBA HIV-positive, Rony Seikaly played Magic one-on-one to show that HIV was not transmitted via contact.