Rashard Lewis and James Jones join Mike Miller as Miami Heat players that were victims to the man accused of operating a multi-million dollar real-estate fraud, according to the Associated Press (via CBS Sports).
This is according to testimony in federal court in Columbus, Ohio regarding the accused Haider Zafar. He was recently denied bond is awaiting trial on wire fraud and other charges. His 135-count indictment describes a scheme it says he used to swindle Washington, D.C., businessman Patwinder Sidhu out of $10 million between 2008 and 2010. Zafar pleaded not guilty last month to all charges.
This from the report:
The witness who testified during Thursday’s hearing, international-investment attorney Andrew Fine, said some Heat players, including former forward Mike Miller, and other Florida residents invested $8 million with Zafar. The other players are forward Rashard Lewis and guard James Jones, a person with knowledge of the case told The Associated Press. The person requested anonymity because it is an active investigation.
The Heat, in a statement Friday, said the team remains in “constant contact” with the authorities handling the investigation.
Miller was waived by the Heat earlier in the offseason while Lewis and Jones remain with the team.