excessive pride or self-confidence. Synonyms: arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, hauteur, pride, self-importance, egotism, pomposity, superciliousness, superiority.
The Miami Heat are full of hubris. It has cost the Heat two early season games, and have left them in a three game hole for home court advantage in the playoffs to the biggest threats to their thrown, the Indiana Pacers. Although the Heat have actually lost three games, the loss on the road to the Nets was just a loss. However, losses to the Sixers and Celtics were completely avoidable.
114-110 loss to the Sixers
- Although there has been a lot of lip service in regards to getting their opponents best effort, the Heat were not at all prepared for Philly. The Sixers ran out to a 19-0 lead before the Heat even showed up.
- After finding themselves and forging ahead by nine points after three quarters, Coach Spoelstra left both James and Bosh (Wade was inactive) on the bench for the beginning of the quarter.
- As the game was ending, on three consecutive possessions, LeBron decided to drive the lane looking for his own shot. On all three possessions, he failed to convert.
111-110 loss to the Celtics
- After giving the Heat a huge lift in the first half, Coach Spoelstra leaves Michael Beasley on the bench for the entire second half.
- Dwayne Wade’s decision to try and miss the second of two free throws with six-tenths of a second on the clock proved fateful. The hubris wasn’t in the attempt, but rather in making the decision without consulting coaches or teammates.
The fact that they are 28th in defensive efficiency is the biggest problem facing them right now. But the Miami Heat should be at least 6-1 at this juncture. It is in the hubris of coaches and players to focus solely on the long run, and ignore the short run (the actual game) that cost them two victories.
In the end, beating the two time defending champion Heat, led by the best player in the world and a healthy side kick four times out of seven, may be more than anyone can accomplish. It may not matter who has home court advantage.
But, if you CAN take home a victory, I think you SHOULD take home a victory.
Tags: Miami Heat