Miami Heat: Duncan Robinson should be least impacted by layoff

Duncan Robinson #55 of the Miami Heat reacts after making a three-pointer (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)
Duncan Robinson #55 of the Miami Heat reacts after making a three-pointer (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images) /

The Miami Heat and the rest of the NBA haven’t played in weeks now. While there is sure to be rust, here’s one player that shouldn’t be as rusty as others.

The Miami Heat team of this season is a somewhat different team than Miami Heat fans have grown accustomed to seeing. While they aren’t deficient of those same grittynasty, physically tenacious, and defensive qualities that they usually have, they also operate a bit differently now.

Whereas they used to have to count on out-hustling you or outworking the opposition to get things done, they now have the firepower to keep up with anyone as well, if not run them out of the gym. Along with the sudden jump in artillery on the offensive side of things though, there has also been a sudden infusion of just a bit more finesse, which is fine and simply a byproduct of the offense.

With this new offensive way of going about winning games comes things that didn’t seem like as big of issues before, especially when you consider the fact that the league hasn’t seen anything such as the coronavirus pandemic prior to this moment in time. Heck, the world hasn’t seen anything of this nature.

With that in mind though, the Miami Heat will now have to worry about getting their offense back firing as it was prior to the hiatus just as much as making sure that they are getting maximum effort and output out of all of their guys. This goes all for but one guy, well, at least as far as getting his offense back on track.

The Miami Heat’s Duncan Robinson is a precision shooter and has been all year. To a tune of 44.8 percent from deep and over 90 percent from the free-throw line, he is mere overall field goal percentage points away from joining the illustrious 50-40-90  club.

This refers to the group of professional basketball players that have accomplished the feat of finishing a season shooting 50 percent or better from the floor overall, 40 percent or better from the three-point line, and 90 percent or better from the charity stripe.

He is also the one guy on the Miami Heat that is least likely to be impacted by the rust that could set in due to a long break. Not only is the shooting stroke the most fundamental and engrained part of a person’s basketball game, but it is also something that can be worked on and refined with minimal effort, as Robinson does here.

He clearly works on his game, or he is the most naturally gifted shooter ever. The saying goes “shooters shoot” and Robinson definitely does that. It’s sad when you think about not being able to see him let it fly.

dark. Next. Making the case that Jimmy Butler is still underrated

Who knows when it might be, but the NBA and Miami Heat basketball are surely being missed. While we hope that they return more sooner than later, we can rest assured that Duncan Robinson will be ready whenever they do.